Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G Is For Garlic

I LOVE garlic! Garlic is overflowing with flavor and has several health benefits that are linked to cardiovascular health. Even if you’re not a huge fan of this pungent herb, you only need to add just a bit to help enhance the dish and help bring out the rest of the flavors.

Have you ever tried FRESH garlic? Neither have I… But I am on a mission to get my hands on some this season! After reading online about how you should buy seeds and just pass on growing  garlic from your local produce section, I promptly grabbed the last few bulbs I had laying around and tossed them in some soil to see how they will turn out. Sadly, they didn't turn out very well. They grew pretty quickly at first, but it didn’t take long for them to wither away to nothing. I’m not too sure why they died, it might have been my inexperience with garlic that killed them or it very well could have been that store bought garlic is for eating and not growing. It seems like different sources tell you different things when it comes to growing garlic, but I plan on using a unique variety of seeds the next time I give growing garlic a shot. Why grow some boring store bought variety when you can grow something completely new and exciting? The world of garlic is a pretty big one, there is all kinds of varieties to choose from depending on what you love about garlic.

Garlic can be broken into two main subspecies, hard necked and soft necked. These two varieties have some subtle and some drastic differences, About.com does a great job of listing the differences between the two. It seems that soft necked garlic is the most commonly sold in stores, so I might have to try growing the hard necked variety to see what I have been missing out on.

Tomorrow, I will be covering horseradish… I have never actually used this spicy root, but I might be willing try it one day!

Till next time,


~Mr.McLovin

1 comment:

  1. Of all the veggies in the world I have never wanted to grow garlic.

    ReplyDelete