Friday, March 21, 2014

Magnificent Muesli

Magnificent Muesli


Are you looking for an easy to make, filling and nutritious breakfast? Then look no further! This Swedish breakfast may sound too good to be true, but it is just what you are looking for! Read on to learn more about what this funny sounding meal is and see how easy it is to start the day off on a healthy foot.

While flipping through this past month’s issue of Bon Appetite the other night, I came across a strange breakfast recipe that I could hardly pronounce.  The name sparked my interest, but the super simple directions kept my attention. After scribbling down the  RECIPE, I decided to take to the web to get further details on what exactly I was about to make and see if it was as healthy as it appeared. The more I read about this intriguing food, the more I wanted to make it for breakfast for the next week straight!

It turns out, Muesli (pronounced mu-zli) is a Swedish dish that was invented by a physician around 20th century; he wanted to ensure that his patients had a healthy diet. Since then, this super easy and super nutritional dish has evolved into a variety of shapes and flavors. The primary ingredient is normally rolled oats, accompanied by fruits (dried or fresh), nuts, seeds, and some sort of liquid to soften the oats.

I would have to say that my favorite part about thisrecipe, is that it is made the night before; so you pretty much wake up and eat. I have loved oat meal ever since I was a kid, so this new variation allows me to easily change up my morning meals while still eating healthy and getting filled up before I take on the day.

Banana Coconut Muesli

Servings: 2
Calories: 592
Carbohydrates: 72.5g
Protein: 32.5g
Fiber: 10.5g
Fat: 8g
Note: These are my rough estimates that will vary depending on ingredients, so please don’t quote me!!

Grocery List:

1 cup old- fashioned Oats
1 cup coconut milk (I accidently purchased vanilla flavored, but they both work great)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Banana, sliced
1 cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 tsp Honey

Putting It Together:

My not so pretty, but oh so tasty Muesli!
1) Combine old fashioned oats, coconut milk and cinnamon in a medium bowl, COVER and chill overnight.
2) The next morning, mix in the Greek yogurt and honey.
3) Finally, sprinkle on the almonds and top it off with the banana.

If you don’t have these exact ingredients, feel free to use what you have on hand instead. No coconut milk? Add in some apple juice instead. No almonds? I’m sure some flax seeds or toasted walnuts would work just fine in its place. I was thinking some vanilla extract or a bit of nutmeg would fit right in with this type of breakfast too, but I might have to save those for the next time I whip up a batch.  I bet you could get pretty creative with some of your favorite ingredients now that you know of this magnificent muesli and how to make it, so feel free to make your very own creation!

If you get a chance to try out my muesli recipe, please comment and tell me what you think! I would also love to hear about your own adventures in the kitchen with making your own original creation, so please share your experiences with making your very own recipe below as well!

Enjoy,


~Mr.McLovin

No comments:

Post a Comment